Your relationship may be at stake.
As @loquaciousmuse tweeted earlier today:
If a guy I was dating had his toilet paper go under instead of over - possible dealbreaker. I don't put up w/ that kind of inanity.
While you may have never thought about it, allow me to explain and -- if possible -- save your relationship in the process.
Toilet paper can be placed on the roll flap up or flap down (as @SixOkay says). Flap up means over, flap down means under. With me so far?
Why does this even matter, you may ask? Let's compare.
- Not only do you have better immediate access to your favorite 2 or 3-ply (if you're rockin' one ply, say nothing. Certain things we just don't discuss) but you are in control of your destiny as to the number of sheets.
- The tear is easily done one handed with a deft wrist flip or, in certain cases, with the clever applying of an elbow or forearm.
- Once you've done your sheet selection, the roll generally stays in place, flap neatly up for the next use.
- Control is more tenuous.
- And access? Do I really have to mention how silly you might look scrabbling your hand against the wall trying to find the flap? Or, worse, the flap is facing the wall -- necessitating a bump to even start rolling. Then, well, do I need to go on? You know what happens. The roll starts going, then you have to stop it as the paper cascades towards the floor.
- The tear is likely to send the roll spinning again. And, again, that frantic slap on the roll to stop the spiral of tissue.
Let's face it, people, there is nothing sadder than seeing that bit of Charmin nestled on the floor. Because you know. You KNOW you're going to have to rip a decent amount away and discard it before you'll even consider using more sheets. It's just...indecent.
You may never have considered this. Or you may be a lifetime over-flapper. Either way, I hope this little explanation has helped you find your toilet paper Feng Shui and relationship bliss.
Think this debate isn't serious? Check out the Cottonelle Roll Poll. (Thanks @onnabugeisha for the tip!)